Friday 17 July 2009

Fast tempo on the Green Park Loop

Having all missed out on the Standard Chartered Great City run for various reasons the following massed for an elusive 'steady' run. Alan 'one pace and it's race pace' Ginn, Mark 'sweating buckets' Westlake, Julian, Paul and little old me.

On the way to the meeting point Alan and Mark dropped me like a stone with their random routes claiming short cuts. All I know is a sub six minute mile to the meeting place was not what I wanted on my bad leg.

Off we went. Alan started pulling away from the off setting a pace that was just too fast for me.
Paul Julian and I make a back group as Mark kept with Alan along the embankment.
By the Embankment tube I was cross to be 100m or so behind so I ducked up Whitehall instead of northumberland ave giving me 200m more of road crossing space. It worked I was over and under the gates of Hourseguards while they were all stuck in traffic. That moment made the whole run worth it!

Alan quickly caught me and we cut a corner out of st james' park to avoid the tourists. Held the pace with Mark Julian and Paul into green park as Alan again started to pull away.

Mass of tourists on the hill so I made a big shout and it had the desired effect - they moved out the road. By the top of the hill everyone was begining to put more distance into to the gap between us. I was well and truely at the back.

Paul's foot pod thing reckoned we were going at 7 min miles up the Green Park hill.

Leg was sore on the footfalls, but nicer on the soft grass.

Paul and Julian gave each a good race, by the time we were back at embankment they were in sight again and I suddenly losened up and speeded up. Thought I was closing on Julian but he kicked too trying to close the gap on Paul, but he could not do it. Paul finished in a stonking. 32:52 only seven seconds off my pb, while Julian just behind.

I did it in 34:10 which for not a race day is a fast tempo.

Mark limped in later with a knee injury, he forgot his knee support.

Then we, surprise, surprise, headed back to the office at the same pace.

No comments: