Sunday 15 April 2012

10.3m Isle of Cumbrae, Millport Classic

A hint of a cold, some very bad weather and a swim instead of a run all contrived to make this a rather extreme taper week with only another week left until the marathon.

So with the sun shining and the most amazing visability imaginable I set of to run round the Isle Of Cumbrae following the road. Flat as a pancake and on the way out of Kames Bay one of the yachts moored in the bay overnight raised the main sail and came out the bay, matching my speed. I added the path to Farland point and then turned in to some light wind as I parted company with the boat. At the end of the path Garmin beeped in the first mile at 7:48. Perfect.

I could hear the birds singing and calling to each other and tried to spot the pairs and then before I knew it mile 2 at 7:52 was done. Mile three to the ferry was 7:26 and I had to really focus to prevent the speed creeping faster than this.

I noticed a few camper vans and tents. One group had a table pilled high with breakfast, right on the sea shore with views up to the snow capped Ben Lomond and the Cobbler. Round the top of the Island the views over to Bute and Arran were dramatically clear and that with the sun shining and light wind made it is feel easy. The sleeping warrior looked like he had a cloak on this morning.

Before I knew it I was round Fintry Bay and Westbourne. Coming into Millport an old lady asked me if I had seen a "wee dug" - I said no. But later I did remember seeing a small dog, but that was at Fintry, over two miles earlier. Opps.

With a mile left to go I could not resist kicking and so let the Cardif Street "hill" pull me down to the main pier where there were three ladies who looked like they might be finishing a jog. I tanked it past them and recognised one of them as the hairdresser as I greeted them good morning.

On the beach infront of the Garrison I got some good encouragement from the kids and my dad who were out and about. Finished in front of the house and pleased to have done the 10.3m in 1h 16m with an ave pace of 7:27 min miles, which is so far inside TRP. I felt so good at that pace I may let myself go a shade faster in the marathon.

Really looking forwards to the big day. Training almost all over now.

1 comment:

Jason said...

That's amazing Niall, It didn't think you would take it seriously when I said you could do some miles on my behalf, but boy do I ever feel fit reading your blog!
I'll be chearing you on the big day
Jason