Friday 26 February 2010

8km, Yacht Club de Geneve

The sun popped out at 11am and I'd made good progress at work and already had a French lesson, so I was all set for NY start of day and decided to go for a run outside, now I had joined the gym.

However, they wouldn't let me in. It seems they actually wanted me to pay and after much hassle I did pay and they handed over my membership card and I blagged yet another towel card. While I was at it, I pushed my luck and managed to get a week pass for a buddy at work. I then got them to explain to me how to get out the back as I did not fancy going through the department store in my gear. All in French....

Outbound was easy, I found it hard to stay slow and lakeside was lovely. There were two clues about the trouble ahead. One was the flags whipping in the wind and pointing the direction I was travelling. Two were the dead leaves that overtook me, they don't normally do that.

I was running free and so had no idea how far or fast I'd gone, but decided to head home from the Yatch Club de Geneve. The wind was so stong and head on it nearly knocked me over. Then I saw the wall of ice rain rushing at me from Geneva. Nothing I could do about it but run through the storm, I was soaked in seconds and as I was in shorts the tops my thighs started to freeze, they were red raw by the time I was back at the gym.

There was a guy ahead so I closed on him and caught him with about a km to go. Chatted for a while in French until he asked me where he was from and we both fell about laughing as he was an English bloke! So Joe is training for Berlin marathon and I'm sure we'll meet again lakeside.

The way back to the gym is via a lift shared by several offices and the department store. I dripped through the lobby and called the lift. By the time it came I was joined by two pretty young ladies who were very amused at how wet I was. They held the lift for a bloke who worked with them and he was a little wet, but could not resist comparing his soaking to mine. Again, this had the girls in stitches.

Nice hot shower and then as I was getting changed some interesting French chatter with three blokes moaning about the English taking over and how Geneva was turning into London. They were especially miffed about the ones who could not even speak any French. I waited until just one was left before chipping in with my best French that I'd just arrived from London myself. Peter laughed and shook my hand, but you're ok my friend your wife is swiss and you have an accent Vaudois! Two new buddies in one day.

On the way to pick up some lovely co-op pasta the sun decided to come out. Tres mauvais timing.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/switzerland/gen%e8ve/559126721568557269

No comments: