Tuesday 24 March 2009

Tuesday Intervals with Rocket Lockets

Made it in good time to the meeting point today, but fellow back groupers Karen and Martin were late and arrived at the canal disadvantaged having had to tank it up there.

Today's session was backwards and forwads to and from the - and I quote "1200m" point. Elite gave themselves 3 1/2 mins on with 2 1/2 recovery giving a 6 min cycle. We did that 4 times.

I was getting to about 200m short of the elite in 3 min 30s, which made it 1km reps at serious speed for me. Pace was 3:30 / min kms on that basis.

Held Karen and Sarah's pace through the long reps and came into form on the last set of short reps.

By some fluke I ended up leading the back group from the 4th set of short reps through to the finish.

Steve was just ahead through the 7th fast rep, at the off on the 8th and final we were under the last bridge and on the narrow bit of the towpath he darted through a gap between a pedestrian and a bike, but I saw it coming and just made it through the same closing gap and held his pace as I counted down the seconds. I made it twenty gone when he looked at his watch. That's a tell tale that they won't come with you if you kick, so I let rip and cruised past him much to his annoyance. Why do you always HAVE to finish ahead of me? was his complaint. To be fair and as Steve was at pains to point out, I was nowhere on the earlier long reps. But hey, the main thing is everyone saw me finish the last rep ahead of him (again). And that's what counts......

No comments: