Sunday 5 April 2009

Luton Hoo, Slow Run

Having finally made it to the local country house turned posh hotel for the first time since it opened yesterday and done £7:70 for a filter coffee and a latte I felt I was now a customer and had the right to run over their land. I also clocked the complete lack of any perimeter security what-so-ever and figured a couple of routes in and out of the estate.

My first attempt at getting into the farms of Thrales End Lane was no use, we ended up back on the main upper Luton road for longer than I'd have liked.

West Hyde road was more promising and as we found out the closed gates into Lime Tree Ave. were not locked (that's how we got out the hotel grounds). Went in along Farm Road, the kink in the route being to take a closer look at the Walled Garden. Very interesting historical site, I recommend the open days they do from time to time.

Then we jumped the gate into Luton Hoo hotel proper and went through the Robert Adam designed stable block which is now the golf club house (the 19th) and a poncy food place (Adams) the spa stuff is in here too. We ducked out the back and round to the formal gardens.



Ken was suffering from "all to one sideness" from carrying his water bottle. The simple solution to this was for him to give it to me. Perhaps I should just carry Kenny and be done with it!

Anyway, it is all time on feet and I got to enjoy the views while Ken stretched and groaned during his "recovery breaks".

Won't be any more long runs for a while as off to Switzerland for some skiing and so that should be fun. Then when we're back it really is not long until Wheathampstead 10k. Even my barber is running in that one. He nearly fainted when I said there was a chance I might do it sub 40 mins this year. He's hoping for 1h 10m!

No comments: