Tuesday 28 April 2009

Tuesday Intervals

Went up to the canal today for the rocket lockets session.

Had checked with Martin earlier he was going so I would not be pitted against the elite on my own. Got to the meeting point at 12:28 and not a soul around so figured they'd gone and headed up to the canal.

Mucked around doing some strides and trying to think of a session I could face doing on my todd. In the end decided the 200m in 2mins session would not be sustainable on my own (although the encouraging tramp was there with his beer) and with Weatho 10km looming I decided to get some long ones in. Went for 6x 4min on with a generous 2min recovery.

Some new blocks are being laid on the canal so one section takes you of the road at the humped bridge over the side canal which annoyingly adds two roads into the route. Had to cross during the "on" phase, bemusing the cyclist who'd just overtaken me as I darted between him and the traffic.

Felt stiff from circuits last night but began to get it together by rep 3 and was creaming along nicely. Made it to the maximum furthest point I've ever been before - Roman Road. I must be careful not to run into the Thames as there is not that much left of the canal after that I hear. Or perhaps it is the edge of the whole planet or something.....

Route here

Tried to focus on form through the latter reps and went through the damp squibs wobbling and woddling along - thankfully on the return leg I was on the "on" phase and one look was enough to send them scuttling OUT OF MY WAY as it was pretty obvious the rockets have right way over these guys even when there was one of us.

Saw one rocket locket heading outbound as I was returning, the guy from UBS. But that was it. So, for the first time ever I was the undisputed champion of the canal, the fastest rocket locket on the day, no-one came close! Ha, no-one else came.

Marathon effect? Got my ballot entry in for 2010 and will try and get the club some places too.

No comments: