Wednesday 25 November 2009

Easy(ish) four miles

Westlake and the very fast Simon Egan were out today for their three bridges reps. I just caught them on the way out of the office and decided to keep them company as far as Westminster Bridge then as they went of to chase each other around the 3 bridges route on pyramid I dropped the pace to very easy run speed and made a mental note that it had taken around 16 mins to get the bridge.

I focused on form and could feel the mid sole strike nicely so opted to try some fartlek along the south side of the river which I enjoyed. Then I eased off completely to recover completely for getting over Blackfiars and onto the wee magic strip of riverside path from Blackfiars to Millennium bridge.

The only possible target was a fat lady waddling along so I simply did some side steps and strides until two more suitable candidates came past. Blue top and Mr. Whippy. Mr Whippy had just over taken blue top so I tucked in behind blue top to see what would happen - he quickly figured there was some nutter on his shoulder and tracked out and eased off, very polite too, but no fun. Mr Whippy's heel was almost touching his derriere and his arms were swinging like windmills. Not half way yet, but had dropped blue top so now was time to see what Mr Whippy was made of. Sterner stuff. Half pace took me to his shoulder, he span around and responded with more frenetic windmill action and a mild increase in speed. Sat at that until 200m out then straight to one minute rep pace and while the windmill span faster the speed did not come with it. Failed to notice a lady walking towards the steps and near miss as she saw me just in time.

Back in 33:40 so technically just about passes as an easy run, but with a faster than average out bound leg and plenty of riverside fun on the way back.

In the shelter of the wee park opposite the office I stretched off as the sun heated me up, not had that feeling for a while.

Aches and pains of the Sunday long and the rock hard reps are gone. Another rest day tomorrow sets up the Hounds and Hare on Friday nicely.

No comments: