Wednesday 18 November 2009

Inter Financial Services Athletics Association Annual Cross Country Championships

Inter Financial Services Athletics Association Annual Cross Country Championships

This is the longest named race I've ever entered. In fact the title contains more information that their web site - click this link to the site.

The highlight is usually the great food after, the pie, bean and chips and that was no exception this year.

When I got to the start with Andy Stubbs the craic was all about why was I not wearing the ballet socks? Is the theory not true? When a bloke I'd never met before asked me about them I thought that was pretty weird. Alan Barnes, who won the race, stuck up for me pointing out that if they work who are they to knock them?

Next major conversation point was no Paul Savage. Garry, no I mean George, was furious as he put in the performance of the millennium and nearly caught me. He was sure that a race day pace like that would have put Paul firmly in his place.

Anyway, at the start it was cold and windy, but mercifully dry. Watched the first ladies come in and gave Aisha a big cheer and saw her respond with the arms pumping as she flew to the finish.

I decided one lesson of my half marathon disaster (other than don't catch a cold) was that I prefer to run from the back. So I crossed the line last. On the way up the incline to the trees I went past Andy and spotted George running the outside line as I picked off runners on the inside. As the field thinned out George urged me to push on and not wait for him. By now the pace was too easy so I pushed on.

Some steep downhills and uphills. I ran the downs a al Malcolm Balk's skip 'n' ski technique overtaking several bemused runners in the process.

Two loops at the top of the hill. The end of each loop has a nasty climb into the trees, followed by a steep decent to a pond and then a very steep incline to the top. I took a gel just before the start and took another as a reward for the first embankment climb.

Along the park the weak winter sun shone through the white cloud and that was the image of the day.

I kicked for the second loop and felt strong moving through the field. Held back on the approach to the pond as I wanted to overtake on the hill. I did and overtook more on the down. On the second climb after the pond I drove the knees high and looked at the top of the hill - the girls were there and someone shouted for 145 - hey that me. Little boost I needed just then to get over the hill and push for home. Perceived effort kick after 60s recovery and down to the finish.

Picked off first target, but the second was race on. He kicked hard. I focused on form and watched the gap stop growing. As the downhill opened up I kicked and drew nearer, but he responded brilliantly kicking hard to just beyond my 800m pace with about that to go. Just before the 100m bridge he kicked again and I responded - the crowd started screaming - I focus on form, not a single heel strike, and I'm closing the gap, but again he responds and just makes it to the line before me. I make a note of the number to say well done to the guy, it is 101. Jog over to JPM base camp to find out I'm second JPM vet!

Spot 101 in the trees doubled up in agony. He jogs back to KPMG base camp and I offer him my congratulations. While he was faster, I'm sure my form was better and I am certain my recovery was faster.

Quick jog back to Bank of England for a shower, some sausage roll, beans and chips. A few pints, the prize giving and plenty of great running stories. Especially Carol Loader who has run land's end to john o groats and will run 3 marathons in three days. Inspiring stuff. John Clarke from team jpm was 3rd male.

I did it in 41. Alan barns won it in 30. The word elite does not do these guys justice!



Comment of the night goes to an un-named runner, who on noticing that one of the ladies prize winning teams had a Murphy theme going on (ie they all have the same surname) and looked a lot like mother and two daughters combo came up with the line "A whole new world of fantasies".

On the way back to the station Andrew says how Priory Lane would be a nice long drag from some reps. Ok says I in jest race you to the guy on the bike. Away he zooms with back pack on and everything at full pelt. How many pints did he have?

Managed to upload the route, so here it is. Also, forgot to mention that I came in ahead of Chris Burfoot. Although he watched the last runner cross the tree line as he got changed at the start, he still made up the 6min 30s start he gave them and managed to not come last. Very impressive.

1 comment:

Another Scottish Bloke said...

good work Niall, effort really increased over the course. What a finish.