Monday 29 December 2008

Achrannie out and back

Having not run since being Ginstered last Tuesday I felt the need to get out. Only time I could fit it in was before daylight so I could still get my fitness massage in that I had booked for 9am.

Planned the route with the OS map and was out out to the end of Brodick. The contours on the map looked tight but when I hit the hills thats when it becomes real and yes lots of lines means steep! Not as steep as Goat Fell (high mountain behind the hotel) but still enough to drop the pace to 10 minute miles just to keep moving. The freezing wind and pitch darkness slowed me down too.

Made it to the end of the road, three out and up and the lump of rock ahead might have been Holy Isle - my cue to turn back. Then the track truned to a path and the pink glow of dawn not enough to risk it onwards. About turn and felt the need for speed and clocked 6:30s down the hill back to Brodick. Could not even hold sevens on the flat, but light enough now to get home safely and with 15 to spare be fore the fitness massage. Which, by the way was rather good and I felt it was well deserved!

Turned out checking the OS map on the ferry back to the mainland that the lump of rock was indeed the Holy Isle!

No comments: