Tuesday 23 December 2008

Ginstered all the way to Hyde Park bridge and back

Hyde Park Bridge Route

The illusive easy run with Alan Ginn failed to materialise once again. Went out with Mark Westlake at a reasonable pace picking up the Ginster at VE. Before long it was clear the Ginn machine was revving up and any hope of a slow long one was disappearing fast and Ginn kept the pace "steady" for him, red line for Mark and I. In order to keep with Ginn, I was taking the racing line and Mark was getting well hacked off with me cutting him up and was pushing and shoving and even clipped my ankle once. Closest I've ever been to getting in a fight with the guys I am actually running with!

The long path out in Hyde Park had a fun fair on it so that kinda slowed us down a bit, but I was darting in and out the people much to Mark's annoyance as each step left or right seemed always end up with me going across his line, eek. Over the bridge and back along the path to Hyde Park corner is slightly down and lovely views. Ginn predictably kicked on the incline.

Back into Green Park, Mark ducked out and when straight over and I was left with Ginn creaming round the outside of the park. With Mark now refreshed the Mall was a struggle for me and I could feel myself being dropped. Tried really hard to keep with it through horse guards and it felt like a Hound and Hare where I'd gone off too fast. Was dropped as the big men kicked for VE, but I let them go and crossed to finish by continuing along embankment.

1h07m40s for 9.54 miles, so 7:06 minute miles. I had no kick left, but could have held it for another 3.5 miles I think which would in theory have been a 1:33 half marathon. Now we are talking. Cheers Alan.

No comments: