Monday 31 August 2009

Dark reps

After a long bank holiday Monday with calls from work (taken in the press room of Stamford Bridge) and a trip to the British Museum it was pretty full on and I felt the need to get some exercise in. Set off to the Luton path, but by 8:15pm it was darker than Mordor at midnight so I made a right turn and set off Wheathampstead bound. Handily already stored in the Garmin was a cheeky 6x 1km with 2min recoveries which fitted the bill perfectly, so off I tanked hammering along at something like 10km race pace.

I cleared the first one in 4.04, and then it was downhill from there. Legs were very strong except a squidgy moment on the last rep for the left leg where the Tibialis Posterier kicked in slightly - but it was the aerobic fitness and lung capacity that let me down. I could not gulp air down quickly enough in enough volume to maintain the heart working like that. Very frustrating. Lungs felt tight and I was worried I might be having a slight asthma attack, but no such excuse materialised.

If I want to do a 10km under 40s I guess I need to get that first km under 4mins then eh? Well the lasagne I had in my tummy kept suggesting it would like to reappear and the darkness was annoying as no sooner had my eyes go used to the dark and I could see the foot path again a car would blind me.

No comments: