Tuesday 18 August 2009

Long route to the launchpad, half a rocket?

I was working down at my old office for part of the day. I was aiming to make the Lockett Rockets, but was so late leaving and so much further away from the meeting point there was no chance of making the meeting point on time (I got there a full 20mins late) and by the time I'd plodded up to the start I bumped into the first Rocket who had had enough and stopped after three out and backs to the humped bridge. Reason being the path was blocked just beyond with more works. The rest had just left for their fourth set. In the heat and given the training over the last few days I decided that session was definitely not for me. I opted for the 60 on 30 off session, doing as many out to the blockage as it took. Tried to focus on form over speed and enjoyed the first few as I did not feel like dying after each one. Then the heat kicked in and I was distracted between rep three and four by the elite on the return leg absolutely tanking it home. I applauded their effort, but such was the focus these guys hardly noticed. They were closely followed by Sarah who looked like she was really working and as I got up to speed through the next rep I saw Steve Scrutton zooming along pretending to be injured at the back. After all that I could not help myself and hammered the next two reps to the blockage and by about rep 8 I was so hot and tired and the leg injury was starting to speak to me louder than a whisper. I remembered the form and surprised myself with the same speed for less effort by simply turning the focus to form for the last two.

Overshot the exit on the last rep so kept going and found and alternate route back to VE. Got caught on the way back by a lady who had been running up at the canal, so had to run rather then jog to avoid being passed. Major cooling down achieved in the Barbican tunnel, very hot by now and very slow.

No comments: