Friday 14 August 2009

Westminster Easy Recovery and new shoe test drive

The new shoes were a stroke of luck. The physio on Monday had advised the same as the other physio that a trainer change was due as I needed even more support in the food arch than my favourite keyano gels offered. Both advised the GT-2140. To my incredible good fortune a chap at work had just bought a pair of those half a size too big - but my size. He'd only worn them once so I got them for 60 quid. I have now made the transition from neutral to over pronater, in spite of my efforts to change my (running) style rather than my shoes.

I decided to take them for a spin today and seemed ok to try new shoes after the exertion of last nights race. Headed down to the river and was sort of taking it easy but soon found myself picking off the joggers and enjoying the fact I was not surrounded by elite runners. Not one single challenge all the way to big ben where the little incline on the bridge caused an increase in perceived effort to maintain the pace. I was suddenly aware of an increase in speed which was due to the extra effort continuing on the downhill side of the bridge. I enjoyed the extra speed for free, but could not hold the pace on the flat. Tons of digging up roads all along the back of the aquarium and the eye, including Marigold passage being blocked, that meant I had to take the steps at blackfiars bridge to get down to the river. Very busy along the riverside to millennium so I ran along a wall at one point remembering to land on the right foot when I jumped down. Millennium bridge was a nightmare as usual and as I came of the bridge a bloke and a girl crossed the road at the same time as me. They absolutely tanked it up the hill and I took the steps and crossed the road then bumped into them again still racing each other heading along my route. Red rag to a bull. Lifted the pace to 5km race, caught them after one block, let them cross the road just in front of me and with only 200m to my office let the Lockett Rocket out just long enough to drop them. The meaning in the look they gave each other as I glanced back to check they had not come with me I can only guess at. Still made me feel good amongst the mortals.

Stretched off in the gardens enjoying the shade and pondering the run. Tape was holding up and I could tell the shoes were different. No more pain than from a normal run and decided to take Alan Weir's advice and wear trainers when I could at work.

By home time I could feel Tibialis Posterier moaning slightly, but not much. Louder were the thighs and glutes complaining about having to work again so soon after the race.

Distance was 4.19 miles in 33:12 so can't really claim a tempo run although it felt like it in parts. Ave just under 8 min miles, but very lumpy.

Feel looser from running a recovery run. Got home to find the new orthotics had arrived so popped them in. Definate improvement on two grounds, firstly they are full foot (not just heel) and the physio is right, they don't move. Secondly, as they are specifically for sports they are much more rigid and offer significantly more support. Great, more kit. More running!

No comments: