Tuesday 13 July 2010

9m Long Rhone Trails and fire hydrants


Last time I did this route was back on May the 14th, click here to read it.

Much cooler then, which perhaps explains why we took 2 mins more this time.

The Passerelle du Lignon was just as stunning to cross as I remembered it last time, highlight of the run shown above.

Tenke was circling and mocking my attempt to cut the corners of the zig zag climb, I was reduced to walking and suffering in the heat.

As we headed back towards Geneva the lack of fountains was noticable in the more modern built up areas. The old town is full of them. Every house seemed to have a pool, or bucket out for the dog, or a hose for watering the grass out, but no public fountain. The first one we came to was dry. Then I spotted a fire hydrant up ahead gushing water like a BP oil well spurts cude oil into the gulf of mexico. I ran though it and instantly regretted it. Shoes and socks were soaked and heavy. Then I noticed the road was dug up to repair the water pipes and so the next mile was more torture as dry fountain after dry fountain was passed.

Now it was the eagles that were circling above and it looked like they had identified me as a likely candidate for their lunch.

Made it finally to some water and just managed to stop Tenke in the nick of time from drinking the recycled water - the drinking water was from the other end of the basin. What a relief. But another mile cleared and I needed to stop again and drink. Nightmare.

Total time on feet 1h 19 mins, 9.16m cleared and ave pace 8:38 min miles. 9 min miles on the trails and just under 8 on the roads.

No comments: