Wednesday 17 August 2011

8.5km Tour du Pays de Vaud - Etape 2 Genolier

Genolier
It was super hot and the SEAC (Stock exchange associated clubs) running vest I had donned left me feeling overdressed. Richard was parked up nicely out side Rolle station (in a parking space marked private) and Jason was sporting jeans and a cotton t-shirt. He changed quickly into something more appropriate.
Latest news from our puppy smuggling friend Stefan was that his GPS was showing an ETA for Rolle of 18:17, so it looked like he was out.
Took us all of 12 minutes through the vineyards to get from Rolle to Genolier and then we parked up in the big field next to the start line.
Suddenly Stefan is there. He’d been dropped off directly, so we had Niall, Jason, Richard and Stefan. Only Tenke let the side down with excuses about some conference call at 8pm – come on love, you’d have been finished by 19:30!
I got myself signed up for the next 5 races and collected this year’s freebie, a nice technical running top and some breakfast cereal. The top was yellow and comment of the night goes to Elaine (via Richard) “interesting shade of yellow, they aimed for banana and missed!”
We did a warm up to explore the last 1.5 km and I was reminded of the hellish climb back to the finish.
At the start we all knew a fast first 3km was important. I shuffled up to around 120th place which I thought would be fine.
The count down started and it was an odd feeling to have no Garmin and no watch as I watched everyone else pressing buttons and checking data. Strangely liberating to have no idea what was happening except for perceived effort.
Within seconds of the start a girl 5 rows in front of me had gone over and there was a bit of a pile up. I pushed on and tried to keep perceived effort high for the first few km. When I hit the third km marker I was almost happy to feel the hill coming so I could let myself slow down.
Got a nice surprise as I came through the bottom of the course – I recognised a kid in the play park – it was my son and then I saw my wife and daughter and gave them a big wave and tried to smile on the way past. That helped me push on. Thank you!
By the 4th I was thinking only 17 more minutes to go - come on! But the hills and heat got me. By 5km my head felt like it would explode. At the 5.6 water stop I did actually stop drink a cup of water and then start again. I never to that! Next climb in the vines was tough and I had to stop and walk. It was so hot. I clawed back a few places on the flat and tried to hold my position. I made it to the point we had run out to in the warm up and tanked it down to the first bridge flew over it and kept going to the hill. At about half way me and the guy next to me stopped running and walked up the hill together. A guy behind us eventually over took us just as we got to the top of the hill and so my walking buddy and I started to run again and we whizzed past the hill man who was totally unable to respond as he had used up all his energy on the hill. I have mountain man Patrick to thank for that bit of tactical mastery.
As I came past the 8km marker I knew the last hill was just behind the building before the finish and I could not muster any motivation to push up the hill so a steady plod got me to the top from where I did sprint down and cross over the finish line to the cheers of the family.
I had forgotten I was running completely free so had to look back track to the finish line to see what the time on the clock was. 36:28. Slower than last year by about 40 seconds, explained by a water stop and two hill walks. Not to mention the unforgiving heat and zero wind. Heavy night.
Later I found my official time was 36:22:9 so it so I it turns out I was only 33 seconds behind last year, and in terms of placing I was better 95th overall (115th last year) and 32nd  (36th last year) in my age. So feeling better about the time as I write this now.
I was pleased to see all the boys finish.
Richard flew home and I saw him finish very strongly looking light and as he approaches race weight I am sure he will only get better. Clearly, he takes the most improved prize so far this year.
Jason came into the straight at what looked a lot like “my life depends on me going at maximum speed” pace only to respond to the McIntyre cheers by digging even deeper and exploding across the line like a lightning bolt.  He then promptly collapsed in a heap, having lost control of various bodily functions which I will let the interested reader ask him about directly. Still you can't argue with a 54 second improvement.
Stefan cruised in looking like he’d just been for a stroll with a puppy.
Good sausage and chips and beer after rounded of a top evening. Thanks guys and see you in La Sarraz!
Oh and here’s where we stand.....

No comments: