Wednesday 24 August 2011

8.5km Tour du Pays de Vaud - Etape 3 La Sarraz

New boy Naly was in the car tonight. Turns out I ski-ed with his sister when she was expecting her first kid around 16 years ago. The boys thought this was very funny - ie me ski-ing at the same speed as a heavily pregnant  female. In my defence, she was Swiss!

Pre-race banter was trending French so Naly could follow which made a change.

We got there with plenty of time to spare and after we all disagreed where to park Jason went to war with the parking attendant who was no way on Earth going to let Jason park up on the end of the line of cars where there was plenty of space. Later it turned out they were worried about how to get all the cars out if it rained.

Very short warm up, pre-race wee and I got stuck on an island between the river and a side stream trying to find the finish. Oh well, back to the start and I tucked in where I though I was about 150th.

I missed the one minute warning. Suddenly 30 seconds to go and I realised I had the draw strings of my shorts wrapped around part of me that I really did not want them wrapped around. Sorted that, just in time for the gun and the three people in front of me decided that they were going to let everyone run off and not take part in the chaos at the start. Get to the back then! Muppets! Loads of them. If you are going to take 40 minutes don't stand with the elite at the start, it is very simple - your place is at the back!

I was boxed in and not happy about it. Took about 2km to finally get to something like race speed and the 2 fast first kms were gone. Made a choice to stop being annoyed and tried to enjoy the race.

On the way I saw Stefan and then congratulated Richard on his good use of the space as he danced deftly though the crowd it was easy for me to keep in step just behind him and then slip past after a friendly pat and encouraging comment.

Began to feel better as the race wore on and took water at both stations. Sorry to the guy just behind me at the water stop at 4km, I should have warned you I was going to stop to take the cup.....

Lost about 10 places to take the second cup of water, but got them all back after half a km.

Noted an old guy in super yellow mellow kit about 20m ahead going well and I thought I could catch him over a km or so. Unfortunately, no sooner than that thought had come to me, he stopped completely and put his foot on the scoop of digger and tied his laces. Oh well, time to pick another target! Mr Lausanne 20km top fitted the bill. 

Hills seemed not as tough tonight and the paths wider than I recalled and I made ground on the flat and down, while not really giving much away on the uphill.

At 4km the rain started and became heavier and heavier. I loved it! Eased through the last hill feeling strong and at about 80% of max. Nudged it harder on the down hill and prepared myself for the last 1km which dragged last year. Tiny incline at 8km and a guy made a challenge over taking me hard. I let him get past and waited for his pace to settle and drove hard past him and held that pace all the way home. On the final stretch I let my self go for it before the woods and as we crossed the running track I made another couple of places through to the sprint finish.

Downed a sports drink and a bottle of water and made my way over to cheer the guys home.

Richard look like he'd worked it perfectly with just a little more in response to the cheer!

Stefan was hilarious and had the crowd in stitches as he smiled at me when I shouted his name, pointed at the guy in front and made a face at him before accelerating like a bolt of lightening and flying past him to cross the line well ahead. Nice one!

Jason looked like a spent force. Too much sprint up hills in front of Richard and being exhausted after 5km had taken it's toll. The response to my cheer was a look that said do I have too - in true Tenke fashion I yelled at him to sprint and he sort of moved slightly faster towards the finish.

Naly waltzed in sometime later and looked bemused at the crowd (ie us) cheering his name and then he was rushed from the finish line into a forced jog to the car for the dash to the men's showers at the other end of the field. Our cunning plan was to drive there and beat the rush. We were the only ones there and the men's showers from last year were well and truly locked up. Opps. Back down to the start via a one car wide road that everyone else was trying to leave on. Found a new parking place right out side the food venue and by this time the Q for showers was about 500 long.

So we changed plan and got the food and beers in, zero Q for food and zero Q for beer. Happy days.

Jason went off to buy a cake which we ate for him, so Richard bought him another one which I took a big bit out off. Sorry!

Then we had the showers to ourselves with the added bonus of hot water!

Even better as they had too much bottled water we were given 6 or 12 bottles for free each.

Another result!

Race results in the graphic here, I am supper pleased to have shaved a minute of my time from last year. The rain certainly helped.
Full race results click here.

No comments: