Saturday 25 February 2012

22m Gland, Prangins Airport, Bois de Craux and back (50 miles this week)


Nice lolly pop route connecting paths I've run before (Prangins section only once) with the usual route 4 to Nyon from Gland.

Lovely day for a long run, light mist on the lake, sun out and little to no wind.

At he Sentier des toblerones in Gland, I thought that's about one third - 7 miles, should be 14 or 15 when I get back here - infact it was exactly 14. I noticed I felt much better than I have all week and was rather chuffed about that.

When I turned up to the castle in Prangins I worked the stairs to loosen up the legs and break the monontony. The cobbles were not pleasant and then it was odd not to continue to Nyon as I would normally, but to turn for the aerodrome de Prangins.

Garim confimed about 2 more miles to get to the half and something in me really wanted to go through that mark at less than 1h 50m. I figured I could just about do it, but the hill up to the castle was annoying for the pace, but the long straight section next to the aerodrome was ideal for picking up the speed. Nearly there and a light aircraft taxi-ed out and turned to take off and it felt like I was racing the plane as it took off to over take me just as the watch buzzed 13 with 1 minute left to make 0.1 miles for the half, I tanked that last 0.1 and made it. Took a gel to celebrate!

The top of the Sentier des toblorones above where I had been earlier was much muddier and I enjoyed going through the tunnel under the railway, somehow satisfying to have gone through both the tunnels on this path in one run (the other gets you under the lake road to get to the golf course).

I was fine until mile 17 where the mind games started to kick in and I was worrying about rubbish like the climb up to the house at the finish or the bit around the Rosey, so I decided to put that out of my mind by finishing lake side.

Had another gel and felt better. On the down hill I decided with 3 miles to go to see if I could hit target race pace. It was hard. Even on the down hill, but I made it. Perceived effort went through the roof and the hrt climbed. By the lake side I'd cleared mile 20 and mile 21 in 7:51 and 7:56 respectively and I was looking for another sub 8 mile to finish. It felt like I was sprinting along past the port and the castle and then to the beach trying to get to 22, but alas 8:03 on the flat with 21 miles already in the legs was all I could manage.

Now lots of ifs and buts. Ave pace was 8:19 which at that pace for another 4 miles would get me a marathon time of 3:37:54.  However, going through the half at 1h 50m means the last 9 miles were at 8:07 pace and another 4 at that pace would give me 3h 35m. Unfortunately, neither of those are actually under 3h 30m which is the target, but lets not confuse long run training with race day performace.

I went for 2 hours with no gels and all the fountains were frustaitingly dry. I think the last few miles were hard as I forced the pace and had not had anything to drink.

On the upside the hrt was amazingly low for most of the run. This also takes me to 50 miles for the week.

Garmin

No comments: