Tuesday 28 February 2012

6.2m a new route discovered and a fast finish

New route today: started with the airport hill and then in a mad moment decided to follow the path I had discovered with Pierro in the snow.

At the end of the narrow bit next to the railway I was not sure if down was ideal, what I had done with Pierro took us along the lakeside road which was rubbish, but I had no idea what "up" would mean. 

Aurelien called it up, and what an up it was. Super steep very wide unmade road coming out at the church near the Brasserie de la fontaine. We battled up in 8:45 reeling in people as we went. At the top, the hill people were merging with the plateau people and as Aurelien and I asserted the natural order (us at the front) he started shouting and cheering as he over took his boss and another guy from his team also out for a run. 

By now the effort from the hill and the over taking had us both pushing along at what felt like a fair clip. Now Aurelien has a habit of sprinting the last 400m or 100m and for anything under 400m he is miles faster then me. So I just held the perceived effort from the hill and kept going. I figured we were 1.5 miles out, which seemed too soon to kick for home, but ratchet one had certainly been called. As the slope steepened down to the American Mission, I sensed Aurelien was dropping off a little then I heard him put some effort in and draw level with me again. Ever so slightly I nudge the pace up again. We were less than a mile out and running sub 6:30 pace. He pushed again as the slope returned to our favour and this time I matched and added a shade more. Silence all the way down. I could feel a slight gap and at the road kicked for home expecting the flash to go past at any moment. It never happened, I had a good 50m on him by the end and we were both delighted with a new hill conquered and stonking race back to the finish.





Last mile was 6:15!

Garmin

No comments: