Friday 1 January 2010

New Years Day Half Marathon

Massed runners today. Roll call was (in order of appearance):
Niall
Simon and Darren
Dave
Ken (in the snowy mountain video shorts)
Paul

The plan was Brocket Hall, but a text from Ken changed all that as he had to be back home in an hour and was thinking of ducking out early. So we headed out and went up into the footpaths behind Wheathampstead and Gustard Wood to give him a couple more miles before he when home. The morning was crisp, cold sunny and really rather beautiful. Praise the Lord for mornings like this. The moon was massive, low and the detail on the surface was amazing. After a few miles the sun joined in and rose - a bight orange ball in the sky taking the chill off the freezing, but thankfully rare gusts of wind.

We never made it to Brocket Hall, but turned back on the Greenway and then over the other side of Wheathampstead returning into Southdown and the footpaths back to Station Road. I had to stop at Dave's mum's house for 2 emergency pints of water and when I tried to jog back from there to mine I'm sure I heard my clothes crack as they had frozen stiff as I had stopped moving. Dave's mum was shocked by the ice and frost on our outer layers. She though Dave had fallen over.....

Paul called 12.9 miles when I stopped, plus another .3 or .4 back to mine I am certain I did over a half this morning in tough conditions, ice and mud. Good start to the year and first long run in over a month. That plus yesterday's reps confirms that I'm back.

No comments: