Friday 22 January 2010

Up the dirty old canal one last time

I was just about to see if Martin wanted to go for a run when his name appeared on the screen of my phone.

We met up and headed to the canal. The place is a tip. Rubbish everywhere with low lights including a tree full of running kit and a dead deer floating in the canal. How on earth did that poor thing end up in there?

Made it to the start of the park and then stopped at Martin's request for a spot of stretching. 25 mins to here.

The way back was much more eventful. There was a bloke who over took us and was clearly working very hard to do it. So while we both thought about moving up a gear to destroy the poor fellow, we were chatting away which kinnda made the point that we were clearly on an easy run.

Next up was the red menace that came screaming over the side canal bridge coming straight for us at speed with a look on his face that said 'I am Steve Scrutton and nothing can stop me!' I'm sure he accelerated when he saw us and we got hi 5s as he went past, he was travelling far to quickly to grunt let alone speak.

On the route back from the canal I reflected on the state of the place. With a little effort and respect the place could be quite nice, but it is a tip and I won't miss it.

Just before the meeting point the we came across the elite leading the Lockett's Rockets out to the canal and as we ran though them got lots of smiles and camaraderie. A few stragglers were trying to catch the main group, I doubt they did as ever the pace was pretty punchy.

Right out side the office I bumped into Paul Savage who tried to talk me into another 5 miles, but I needed to get back for something so declined politely.

Must have seen about 20 runners out today that I knew, now that is something I will miss!

Another thing I'll miss is the steam room. It is ideal for heating you up after a cold run and just big enough to be able to run through my stretches.

So that was that. The parties are beginning to catch up with me and so I need some serious sleep over the next few days to be in any fit state for the Fred Hughes Race on Sunday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL - and that's just at the title