Saturday 9 January 2010

Snowy Heartwood

The snow was reflecting the weak winter ambient light just enough to see when I set of and by the time I'd got to my drive Paul was very kindly already outside wandering why I had not yet gone past his house. A punchy first mile to Ken's warmed us up and he was there in the middle of Couper Road as we zoomed along.

Ken took the early lead, but with his silly detour around Long Buftlers making almost a complete circle, a small mutiny ensured and Paul was elected our new route Maester.

Heartwood was declared as the new target and I was looking forward to some virgin snow to run on and hoping for some drifting too. I was not disappointed. While Ken was locked in some heart rate fixation at the back, Paul and I expored our inner child and froliced in pristine snow making fresh tracks were only foxes and rabbits had gone before. Ken was taking his time up the hills and Paul and I waited for him as we skirted the outer reaches of Heartwood and then again as we went into the main wood. The nice people at the woodland trust had predicted Paul and I would need somewhere comfy to wait for Ken so they had set up a bench for Paul and I to sit on. We admired the snow covered woods as we waited for Ken to catch up. We then just sat there and shouted directions at him and sent him all over the place in the woods. The woodland trust elves have also been busy since my last visit (in May, also with Paul) and not just planting trees (which they have done lots of): there were lean-too shelters (some pretty well made), a wonderful life size snow covered statue of a deer made out of twigs and an impressive looking set of wooden wind chimes.

The deer was too much of a photo opportunity to miss. We finally agreed on a pose that worked and as Ken stripped off the layers to avoid the reflection on the flash he handed them to Paul who promptly disappeared into the woods with Ken's clothes. Pure magic.

The clip back was fairly punchy as I had to be back by nine so declined Ken's wee extra bit at the end and took the direct footpath back with Paul. I was glad I did as after about 11 miles my legs were getting tired and I needed some warmth.

Cleared 12 miles and in those conditions doing it in around 1 hour 50 minutes is about as fast as you could safely go so no shame in that.

No comments: