Tuesday 17 May 2011

3.8m recovery run in Denens with Alan Wilson

Alan is a very special person, as he is the only person who has married me other than my wife. Well he was the minister who did our wedding.

He now lives in N. Ireland, where he and his lovely wife come from. I found he was visiting Switzerland and had a pair of trainers and on old Everton top with him - a quick check on the map and the early easy run is on!

Get this, we started running one minute early - please note this Mr Leakey - when in Switzerland do as the Swiss do!

I'd planned to pick up a tourisme pedestre route in Denens, but Alan assumed we were going to take the Prius for a spin so as I trotted off down the hill he was trying to open the passenger door of the car.

The village of Denens is scarecrow decorated with some rather good ones dotted around the village.

After the race I had a few niggles and it was great just to natter and not be checking pace and hrt. We were time bound. When Alan told me he had to be back by 8:30am I assumed that meant I should plan a route that took us back to Denens by 8:29:59 am.

Alan has the gift of hill discernment. The slightest incline fires an audible warning, which indicates we have to slow down. Sometimes that was rather hard as we were already going pretty slowly. But the view was great, the sun was out and the vines looked good. My niggles started to ease.

At 23 minutes out I mentioned there were only 7 minutes left to find the high footpath back or we'd need to re-trace our steps to get back in the allotted 60 minutes. Alan looked a shade paler than normal. I think we can cross the railway just here he ventured and that was the cut back sealed.

After 38 minutes we could see the end and the route back to the house was definitely going to be uphill. The incline warning system went into overdrive and we agreed to walk the last hill in a dignified manner. Not a single circle of encouragement was required. 

By lunchtime I was fully recovered and ready to find out what Tenke is up to for the rest of this week.

Thank you Alan!

No comments: