Tuesday 26 July 2011

8.5m Partnun to Pany Mountain Trail


The rest of the group picked up their giant mountain scooters and I said goodbye and took a last look at the map.

First section would be down, then up (I had not realised anywhere near how steep the climb would be) then finally down to Pany. The hill profile on the Garmin link is worth the click.

Garmin

Mountain trails are heavy going. The scenery is stunning, but the paths were barely visible on the pastures and the mud from the rain fall meant keeping a close eye on how soggy the trail was.


Most of the fields ended in an electric gate to open and close.


Just before the St. Antonien village I saw some of the group on their scooters and I called over and they waved back from the road. Further on I caught a glimpse of the car and was tempted to just run down to the car.

I climbed up, and up and up and up. Finally, got to the top the road and found the path with the sign Pany and I knew I'd get back eventually.

The marshy pastures had boards across them in many places which helped.

The weather was warm when the sun was out (down to t-shirt) then cold when the sun went or I was under the tree canopy and when the sun was gone and the wind blew I needed the thick running top and the fleece I had to stop shivering.

Most memorable moment was when I came out of the trails above Pany on to a made road my path was blocked by a herd of cows. But the old bloke with the stick whacked a path through them for me.

Ran past the outdoor pool with possibly the best view in the world and that was it, I'd made it over the top and back to the correct valley. Phew that was a tough run, but I loved it.

With a bit of luck Jason and I will be hitting the mountain trails next year!

No comments: