Saturday 3 September 2011

10?m Mountainous forest trails above Aubonne

With the new scout leadership team dropped at the scout hut in Aubonne, I was all set for a 45min climb into the forest and looking forward to the downhill clip back.

Noticed that there has been a slight tweak to the footpath just after the first road crossing and there are some more brand new and even clearer footpath signs up.

Got to the dam at 30 mins on the clock, and ran around the Arboretum Lac and decided to try the hill behind for 15mins before heading back. It was steep, tough, but somehow being a new trail and in the cool (higher up here and in the shade of the forest) it was fine and dandy.

Just when I hit the 45 mins I came across a sign which perplexingly and intriguingly suggested that I could have a short cut back to Aubonne. I took the risk.

After a while the next sign was for "Signal" which is just above Rolle, this was slightly worrying as I have never run the trail completely from Signal to Aubonnne, but I know it exists so I push on.

Got to the Signal car park and was elated for some unknown reason, perhaps being back on territory I know well. On the way in the morning crew were furiously washing tables preparing the place for the mass influx which any decent summer's day will bring. There was even a guy with a big Salvidor Dali moustache and a motorised blower cleaning the dust and leaves off the path. He kindly cut the motor and waved me on.

Left Signal following the yellow signs for Aubonne and was guided out under the Acrobranche (high ropes in the trees) and I admit that I yanked a couple of trailing ropes to move things around....

Bought back memories of the Aubonne to Signal race I did, but the route was not the same. I was thankful for more downhill and the short cuts the footpath took that avoided the main road.

I really enjoyed the last section as  I now have connected two previously distinct running areas with two brand new trails for me. Only thing is I've no idea how far it was and mapmyrun is does not have images with fine enough grain. But given the perceived effort, the tough terrain and the 1h 38mins time on feet I figure 10 miles at least.

No comments: