Thursday 15 September 2011

8.6km St. Prex TPV

The final of the series of six races each Wednesday eve. taking in different villages through the canton. The finish line in St. Prex is under the clock tower shown here, which is pretty special!

Today there were no complicated pick ups in Morges or traffic jams to contend with, just the ticket machines that refused to sell us a ticket Geneva - St. Prex, you need a Morges mobilis or something once you get there.

The transfer was at Allaman and we had thought of changing into race kit there. However, we found the worst toilet in Switzerland and gave it a serious swerve. Stefan noticed the train had arrived so we got on and got changed. My number is 644 - how amazing is it that the two guys next to me in the train have numbers 645 and 646?

We jogged down to drop our bags and had 46 minutes to kill before the start. Amazing not to be rushing straight to the start line. Warmed up and bumped into Katja and the kids who had come to watch. They told us the other boys were here.

I got into the start where I thought 200 people were in front of me, giving me only around 50 to get past before I would be at race pace.

Suddenly the boys were all there, Jason and Richard had rocked up and seemed to be in high spirits. My retro casio took some abuse, but it does have a light.

The starter warned us the gun would be super loud, but it was more like a damp squib. I tried to use the width of the road and the fact it was up hill though km 1 to make a statement and get to 4min kms as quickly as I could. I saw the family and Sefan's family so cheered and waved at them so they could see me in the sea of yellow TPV vests.

Made it though km 1 in 4:11. There was some pushing and shoving in front of me so I gave the two guys involved a wide berth. Up next to the forest was lovely, especially not going though the forest and skipping the supper narrow part that was also very steep.  Went though km 2 in 8:10 or something so decided to try to just hold my position and not go any faster.


That seemed to work well and the race went fine. Nothing much to blog until km 6 where I started to feel hungry and ill. I could feel the energy draining away from me quickly and I need a gel (but did not have one). So the only thing to do was slow up, which I did. That had an instant effect and I felt fine and slotted in at my new pace to try and hold it together for the last 2.6 kms.

The downhill to the lake was super steep, but nice and wide so I hopped and skipped on the way down picking up a few places for the last tight lakeside path section. This last km or so along the lake is one of my favourite long run routes, so I know it well and I love it. It has a series of right angle turns which the race organisers had put a person on each to stop us running into the lake. I was able to use my local knowledge to accelerate out of the bends and pull myself around on the barriers to sneak past runners trying to figure out where they were going.

Plage des hommes was where the support team had pitched up and so it was another boost to see them and hear them cheer me through. Paul shouted 100th, so I that focused me on picking up a few more places. From the pre-race recci I knew that there was a V shaped finish with 150m of running almost parallel to the finish with 3 side roads offering a glimpse of the home straight - I counted them off and fought the instinct to kick for home too soon. Just I a rounded the corner to see the home straight I let rip and ran wide, blocking the challenge from the guy on the out side of me with the car I remembered was parked on our right.

Took about 3 or 4 people on the home straight and was elated to have held that fast a pace for so long. Met up with the families then recovered my stuff from the changing rooms and was the first person to get the meal as I skipped the shower.

An old couple next to us wanted to know what language we were speaking. They didn't believe it was English, well I suppose I was speaking Scottish.

Katja and Rodene had brought cakes for my birthday (including one with a candle and Smarties) and the highlight of the night was everyone singing Happy Birthday to me in French.

Overall this year I was 23/135 in my age group, Bob had already that on my facebook by the time I got home!



No comments: