Saturday 26 November 2011

13.3m Prangins, Airport, Pont Farbel, La Serine and back on the usual route

The lad had a chess match against Geneva in Nyon today and so I had about 2 hours to kill - so seemed rude not to get some miles in.

Decide on slow and long today and certainly achieved the slow. I was feeling rubbish, tired (late night at the Gym Rolle show last night) and a hint of a cold coming on.

On the way to Prangins it seemed everyone was blowing leaves. Public foot paths and private roads all had at least one bloke with a leaf blower strapped on doing the needful. Right at the start of the run the first leaf blower incident was nearly rather nasty. I spotted the guy and decide to go behind him, which would have been fine except he moved back just as I came around him so I had to leap like a gazelle to avoid being squidged between his engine and the wall. In mid gazelle leap I took the blower's jet in the side and landed about a metre further along than I had expect to and surrounded by a swirling vortex of leaves. The hearty apology was well received, but to be fair he had no way of knowing I was right behind him.

The second observation was that certain people appear to be blowing leaves off their property into the property next door. Or up the road in a neat line so there a no leaves out side your place, but then by definition they must now be out side someone else's place. I imagined the poor leaves being blown endlessly between properties. Probably at a cost of 100 Swiss francs each time!

Anyway, it was time to explore new trails and see what happens if you turn left instead of right at the castle in Prangins.

Nice enough foot path through Prangins and then along right next to the grass airport. Spitfires from ww2 would not look out of place here and in the sky above a light aircraft was doing loop the loops and twists and turns that I would have said were impossible. As I got closer I realised the petrol engine was tiny and the plane was actually being remote controlled by two blokes on the airfield.

Next was the section down towards my usual Nyon/Rolle route which was an unexplored part of the toblerone defences between Vich and Gland. Really enjoyed that bit as lots of gun emplacements and the toblerones are in very good condition here. Through a river tunnel that warns you can't go through if the river is in torrent, but the trickle of water was no risk and this would be a very nice section to walk.

Had to duck back in the golf course to avoid a drive that would have taken my head of had I not obeyed the sign and checked for golfers!

At the end I was not happy with only 10 miles so extended the route out to the back of Nyon and found a new foot path down to the beach I was pleased with. To the port and back to the car got me over 13 miles - finally it was a slog of Ken style low heart rate plodding.

Of note at the beach were the naked Germans making full use of the sauna installed at the water's edge. The bloke bearing all shouted at me in English "you should try it, it's great". Perhaps I will, a run, sauna massage combo might work rather well one day!

Garmin

No comments: