Thursday 6 September 2012

5.4m TPV St. Prex 2012 Etape 5 - winners!


On the way to St. Prex Stefan went to the back of the train, Tenke went to the front (no surprise there) and I was obviously in the middle.

It was packed and no way to get changed. We had planned a laptop bag drop as the train went through Rolle, so Tenke made her way to me as I was meeting the support team in the middle of the train. Stefan dragged his daughter to the station rather than move to the middle.

During the bag drop we found each other and the wait in Allaman for the train to leave for St. Prex was perfect to change in to the race kit and perform other last minute pre-race functions.

Suitably lighter we were in high spirits as Stefan's family were due to be there tonight and Tenke's Boys - assuming they all showed up, were on to get a podium tonight.

We found James in the changing rooms and then Tenke and I headed off for a proper warm up. Did the first couple of km and the last half km of the race where we found Richard. Was glad we had as he had route change news as the traditional finish under the clock tower had been moved to the Lausanne side of the old town - adding a fair bit to the route.

At the start we wished each other well and Tenke went for some pre race strides and Richard and I snucked in through the front and went back about 10 rows - stopped next to the first "fat bloke" we found.

There was no count down and the gun fired bang on 7pm and we trotted the 10m to the start line and as we crossed the line the pace went straight to 4 min km on the hill. Wow! That felt fast - but good. I've never been happy with my start before and went through the first km in 4:11. More uphill and a little respite on the flat and I was holding and moving through still and comfortable. 4:14 and happy. Then the hill I forgot about in the 3rd km and I was a little wheezy from the dust being kicked up on the path and dropped to 4:27 pace for that one.

Got a drink at the water stop and that helped the breathing and I was slightly annoyed at not having taken a puff of ventolin before the race, but I recovered fine once off the dusty path and accelerated through the down hill section making back some of the places I'd lost on the uphill.

I guy wearing gloves overtook me around here. I mean, 22 degrees, is that necessary? I also wondered what on earth the guy ahead was doing wearing a back pack for the race? Very odd things.

At about 5.5km I had a boost from Stefan's family although I must admit to slowing down as soon as I turned the corner and I saw the climb to the pipeline bridge next to the railway line. That was annoying, but pulled it together for the next leg which is a long uninteresting drag. Under the footbridge and people looked like they were kicking for home. As the decent became steeper I picked of a few more people, but wanted to save something for the last bit. It felt fast, but the time told a different story, the course was longer! At 8km I did not kick like some around me, but held it steady until the turn and then I could see the finish.

The chap behind me went. I felt like I had nothing left to give, but from the great depths I pulled enough out to match him. We streamed past people moments ago I'd thought I would never catch and with 50m to go I squeezed another acceleration out and flew over the line ahead of my challenger. What a finish!

Unfortunately the new finish is not at all conducive for watching your mates finish after you as there is no way to get back to watch the finish line or get to the crowd. They also had the water in serious plastic cups and deployed a no cup shall pass perimeter implemented like a NATO base in Afghanistan.  Some people I know may have got one or two through....

We had dinner and Tenke was crowned queen of the TPV again, being 16 minutes ahead of the 2nd lady. That's how good she is. She won a tankard and some flowers.


Then the mixed team results were announced and Tenke's Boys won the team event. Thank you guys it has been a blast and a mission. Well done. We got some chocolate and a massive ham as a prize!

Even Richard (the missing 4th man - who tried to become a Tenke's Boy) won a pink fold up towel thing in the prize draw.  

I noticed that as the five weeks progressed I've got faster each race. Although time wise slower this year than last year, the course was definitely longer and I am certain I ran faster.

Great feeling to actually win something - I am a happy man. 

Garmin

Mixte Equipe Results

Final scores on the doors....


No comments: