Tuesday 20 October 2009

Good Reps

The twenty or so rockets did not hang about today and that forced Martin into a pb from the office to the canal.

Scrutton was there doing some kind of steady run through the set, noted his new red running top - never seen the guy in anything other than 100% cotton before.

My excuse today was mainly focused around the battering I took last night from "Alex" the hulk with a sadistic streak that had given me the Guantanamo Bay treatment at Breathing Space. The tranquil setting and soft furnishings and delightful staff lulled me into a false sense on glentle expectation. Alex arrived and eyed me up. He listened dutifully to my abridged list of running injuries and aches and pains. Then the violence erupted. Within seconds he'd found and smashed a knot on my back and I was right on the pain threshold. This was 30 seconds in and at that point I remembered I'd booked an hour. Alex used all his weight and considerable upper body strength to pummel me hard and deep tissue or sports massage does not do this guy justice. I screamed, but did not cry. He told me when he worked at
Guantanamo Bay they would always talk when he got to the end of the muscle. By the end I was battered and bruised, but somehow lighter, especially on my left arm and oddly in my feet that had taken a special hammering and responded. I told Alex all about ARO runners and he said he'd love to hook up with them.

The reps were 8 by 3 off 1, with 2 at the turn. Dave, call me if you need to know what that means, can't be bothered explaining it.

Paul and Martin instantly appointed me leader of the "Needs" group and we were off. I felt light, loose and comfortable. Thought about throwing an easy one at rep 4 but decided to hold the pace and felt fine.

On the way back Paul ask if I was speeding up during one of the reps. No I replied, actually I was thinking about my foot circle (half shin pace), cadence, landing with my foot moving backwards and not sitting into the run. What - all that and you can still run? If you heel strike I'll kick your foot was Paul's helpful input along with why don't you get a squeaker implanted on your heel so it squeaks if you heel strike? I wonder if Aro Sports do those?

On the 5th or 6th rep I'd just adjusted into a more upright position and was thinking about how my feet were landing nicely when Paul crys out "OH NO NIALL'S THINKING ABOUT FORM AGAIN, HERE WE GO!" Somehow we probably were going faster and my perceived effort reduced. Amazing.

The elite streamed through on rep 7 and I was wise enough to keep at half shin pace and not respond.

The cheek from Paul escalated to sheer insolence as with forty seconds to go on rep 8 Paul challenged! I'd been wondering what knee pace would feel like and within seconds I knew two things, firstly that's very fast and to my delight it is faster than Paul. 20 seconds to go and I've overtaken him and a number of bemused elite who happened to have gone past us moments before. Paul suggested if only he'd gone later and more steady, he'd have "won". Keep the racing for races!

Massage, Alexander workshop with Malcolm or some combo of them both? Either way felt light, in control and solid as a rock. Noticed how not sitting into the reps on the acceleration really helped and focusing on increasing the foot circle as the key to speeding up and keeping the form.

As Martin pointed out, our next target to catch is Sarah's group. Whooo hooo!

No comments: