Friday 2 October 2009

Steady seven miles in the city

The animal that is Alan Ginn had been working hard at the gym on his legs this morning and so was looking for an easy 7 miles.

Now, I've been fooled by these so called easy runs before so as an added measure I warned Alan I expected to talk to him as much as possible. This would ensure two key elements of the day's run, firstly keeping me firmly in zone three - I can't talk and have the heart rate drifting near anaerobic, secondly in order to hear what I am saying this kept Ginn nicely next to me and not 3 meters in front.

This worked brilliantly until we crossed Westminster for the second time and Alan scented home and muttered something about steady back. I felt surprisinly good and each ratchet from Alan was fine and before too long I was ratcheting myself with Ginn matching, drifting ahead and me catching him or him kindly drifting back. By now silence was the order of the day and focus on mid sole striking on the left foot. I've reverted to the Kayanos after my GT-2145s developed a hole in the upper and are on their way to Asics to be inspected. I'm after a nice new pair! Anyway, I was worried about my tibialis posterior problems making a return with the shoe change and I think and can feel it a bit so plenty of ice and gel tonight.

By 51:04 we had done the 7 miles. Easy to steady out then some increasing speed for me on the way back. Tipping point was Blackfriars bridge as I felt that tingly 'you don't have enough oxygen to hold this' feeling but decided to ignore it as the finish was so close and kept with Alan to the end.

Ave pace would be a 10km in 45m or a half in 1:34.

10% more on race day? There better be at least that or Kenny will get to the massage tent before me.

No comments: