Thursday 8 October 2009

A low intensity short run

Having studied the recent form of the guys and checked out the research online I concluded that the safest option today was to go out for a very short low intensity recovery run.

I was determined to go slow, but also avoid the first grey zone were you work so little there is not actually any point.

Bumped into a JPM Runner as I left the building and felt the need to justify the slow pace to him before I even had even pressed the start button. Jogged off and crossed the road and suddenly was doing 7min miles! No, it's a slow run. Got to the steps at Mushroom on the way to the wobbly bridge and felt the pace increase as soon as I heard footsteps behind me. I caught a glipse of a refection of the red cotton top behind me and had to really really work hard at keeping the slow pace and letting a cotton top go past. That was really hard, but I managed it.

At the last minute I changed direction around my loop and went over the wobbly bridge first for two reasons. One to stop me tryiing to catch the red cotton top and two it would give me the Blackfriars to millenium drag to blast along if I felt the need.

Just before the building site that is blackfrairs bridge on the south side a guy studying his garmin drifted level and we recognised each other. It was Darren from circuits and aro runners also out for a slow one. He'd gone too far but we helped each other stay slow and chatted as we tried to find a route around the building work. He gave up and turned back for home, I found a way across and then let an old guy in a white top go past.

Focused on left foot relax and release just after toe off as it felt stiff on the ankle and not as bouncy as the right. Noticed the niggle on my back had gone.

I found that I drifted back into the grey zone if I let my mind wander. Holding 60% turns out to be quite an art. I worked out if the sweat on my forehead dripped I was too fast, if it dried I was too slow.

Checked another acceleration over Westminster and thought about tanking in home. Instead I let one more past and decided to not over take the two blokes ahead of me until the Blackfiars ramp.

By now I noticed the 'facial effort' of the runners coming towards me and almost all of them had a face that said maximum effort. I smiled and enjoyed the sun.

Got to the ramp and the tubbier of the two blokes blasted off ahead of his chum. I'd been sat on their shoulder for half a mile and so I guess neither of them were too surprised to find the suppressed pace suddenly unleashed and I got up to 75 perceved effort which felt a shade ahead of 10km race pace and held it comfortably to the wobbly bridge. Dropped the two guys easily and was chuffed the speed came so easy after the slow run and the short injection of pace let out some of the need for speed that has been steadily building.

Feeling relaxed, strong and powerful at speed. Rock on Sunday, see you all on the start line.

No comments: