Tuesday 6 October 2009

Powerful, but controlled reduced reps as Super Sunday draws ever closer

Just made it to the meeting point before the guys headed out. Was pleased to see lots of super fast rockets as well as some mere fast rockets like myself.

Paul was wearing a fetching sleeveless number, which given the rain I felt was a punchy choice as I'd opted for a long sleeve. By the time we got to the tropical micro climate that is the canal I knew Paul's choice in clothing was better than mine.

Before the off an elite took some abuse for his rather short red shorts. Chris, don't those shorts count as lingerie? Brilliant.

The set was called as 6 times 3 on and 1 off.

I announced I was planning on doing 4 of those and before you could say away I had at least 3 guys tucked in behind me for the reduced set.

I had missed circuits due to race taper and the reps were as a result done on fresh legs and I was flying. I talked Paul into leading rep 3, but by half way I felt the ratchet and pushed out. Martin pushed out on the 4th and final rep and I could not resist a controlled pace increase and let the rocket out after about 90 seconds and sprinted up the lock gate hill and held it home. Looked back to see the rest of my group doubled up like me to catch their breath. Normally, I'm looking at the guys ahead so what a joy to be able to look back!

Whipped back to the office, stretched off and reflected on how powerful I was through those reps having done an easy run Sunday and no circuits. I had more in the bag, but had wisdom enough to feel that while I was going fast, just exploring the tipping point of too fast, and not going past it.

Been reading more theory on my mate Kenny's slow running. The key seems to be that active recovery just at 60 percent is much better than doing more intense work (say zone 3), if and only if your intense training is very hard. Guess what, my training is very hard. So given how great today's reps went I will now introduce a lower intensity run somewhere rather then an extra threshold or extra reps. More in this case seems to better if less intense. Google "Grey zone" and you see how careful you need to be if following this kind of plan.

No comments: