Friday 4 February 2011

8m Reps at Bout du Monde Track

Aurelien and I made it to the track for the first time together today. Tenke was suffering from something she had picked up in darkest Africa, cursed by a witch doctor who did not want to buy her carbon efficient stove or she probably just ate something dodgy from a carbon inefficient stove.

Aurelien was completely unphased when I told him it would take us around 40 minutes to get to the running track as his next meeting was not until 4pm. I was secretly hoping his 10km and 5km hard in the last few days might have tired him out, but no such luck! He cruised out mocking my directional capabilities as I fluffed the route being dependent on hugging the river for my bearings. He chuckled when we arrived in 24 minutes!

Session I had programmed into the Garmin was all about distance.

100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 400m, 200m, 100m.

The idea being as a super sprinter Aurelien would set the pace on the 200 and 100 sets and I could lead through the 400 and 800 ones. Nearly worked.

On the 800m I was determined not to let Aurelien get away from me. So I pushed hard and felt the 2nd lap could be fast so I made my move at 400m with ratchet one. With 200m to go I hear footsteps closing and so I kick again and accelerate, but still they close in. I kick again with 100m to go and nothing left in the tank, the distance alert fires and I stop. To my amazement Aurelien is 100m ahead of me. A lady doing 200m reps launches into her next set. Aurelien had ducked out after 400m and simply waited for me to do the second lap. Cheeky monkey, but the 800m would nevery have been that fast had I not thought that the lady was Aurelien closing me down. 

The same lady shouted encouragement to us as we finished the set. The last 100m was fascinating as Aurelien turned on the class over the last 50m and put a good 10m between us.

Clip back was much faster than the warm up out.

 Garmin

No comments: