Saturday 18 June 2011

7m up the hill with Jason and Richard

Pre-run banter was all about getting Richard out of bed early to run in his night clothes, but the normal clockwork was not well oiled and by the time I had found Jason's new place we were already late for Richard.

We glided into the compound a full 15 mins late and by the time the Garmins found their satellites and we'd all gone "aw" at the baby rabbits the traffic on the road to the forest was heavy compared to normal. Ie, one car with the milk control man in it passed us on the way down and on the way back from his place to do whatever he does in the village.

I mistook two goats for baby horses with horns much to the boys' amusment.

At the kink in the forest we checked out the oldest tree and I admit that I hugged it.

It seems that Jason spent his entire six months dreaming up witty things to say about us - he was really on top form in that department today.

We then saw a deer in a field that was pretty cool, some white snails and a toad.

The way back without the protection of the forest meant it was like running on wet day in Wigan as Richard put it and while the rain was near horizontal and very heavy Jason's assertion that it was hailling struck a cord with me, but Richard reminded us the state that true hail leaves a runner in and we agreed it was definately not hail, just heavy rain.

If you see Jason, ask him about the car door window. Great story, which I've heard end to end twice now.

On the hill home Jason sprited off, but Richard and I let him go and then when he realised we were not right behind he slowed down and so Richard and I accelerated to full speed going past Jason effortlessly. While Richard got out of the blocks before me there was just enough hill for me to draw level with him by his drive. If I did not know him better, I could have sworn I was shoved hard after 10m. I must have imagined that.

7 super slow and very wet miles. But the time on feet was good as was the company and going up 1,000 feet is always good for something.

Garmin

No comments: