Wednesday 15 August 2012

5.0m Penthaz TPV 2012 Etape 2


That's more like it!

The clouds moved in through the afternoon and took the edge off the temperature. It was hot, but not unbearable.

Tenke, Stefan and I were all on the same train, I found Tenke in the station at Nyon and we found Stefan in the train to Genolier.

Caught up with James before and then everyone split for their warm ups while I hung around waiting for the family to show up and got my hrt going by trying to work out the childcare arrangements and stressing my self that they had yet to show up. Once they were here we quickly figured the finer points of the handover and I shot off to try and get a quick warm up in. But it worked well, I ran out the first 800m, fiddled with my shoes and ran back checking out the elite and saw Tenke too. Saw the family encamped on an embankment so had a quick chat and made my way back to the start. Went 10 rows deep as I wanted to run fast down the first 3.5 km and then just try and hold my place from there.

Race went almost according to plan. I took off like the wind and clocked a 3:40 first km followed by a 3:59 and then a 4:01. That's red line for me. Then the hills. I tried to tread them like old friends, having run here lots with the mini foullee glandoise I know these trails well. I tried to focus and keep pace on the ups and work the downs hard to keep the placing I had.

I had to walk twice, but on the second time I was overtaking as I walked. About km 5 I started trading places with a tall and noisy lady. She got noisier as the race went on. I had to concentrate hard not to drop off the pace on the zig zag and then down the steep hill to the brook nearly sent the lady flying. I skipped down and kicked hard over the wooden bridge trying to claw back some time before the horrible climb back to the finish.

And it was tough. I caught a glimpse of the building through the trees and it seemed so very high above us. Still I knew we were nearly done and pushed through and decided the crowd were only cheering for me and that got my past the lady. As I got to the top I sprinted for the line - the kids were there and I kicked again for them. Great feeling.

New nice touch was a massage which was very welcome as was the free apple and drink.

Then I saw Stefan come in and he was looking good.

Tenke found us and Lia and I helped her with the paparazzi who were interviewing her in French as guess what, she was the winning lady, in a stonking 31:35!

Caught up with Jason too, he was running under his pen name tonight, but great to see him again.

Saw Patrick and also Victoria and finally met her hubbie Rob.

Naly, Stefan, Jason and the kids then enjoyed a great meal.

I was 36:11 (one age place better and 11 seconds better then last year but slower than 2010) added to James' time of 34:11 put us in first place.

And it seems last week's result was recalculated and Tenke's Boys were first there too!

What a great feeling to be in a winning team!

Garmin

No comments: