Sunday 25 January 2009

Greenway or Wetway?

Looking at the weather forecast since Friday - it did not bode well for the Sunday morning long run and seemed to get worse and worse each time I looked at it. The rain was battering off the conservatory roof as the Garmin found the satellites and I pulled on the wet weather gear.

On the drive with a minute to spare and Kenny was peaking out from his shelter in the porch as the roar of Dave's car screaming in could just be heard over the lashing rain.

Off we went, I'd planned the route to avoid the paths (except the Ayot Greenway) on the way back as I figured it would be wet. Boy was I right.

Felt fine (cold receding and knee deep heated) but could not get any pace together. Cruising at over 8 minute miles, chatting, avoiding puddles and trying not to think about the rain. When we found the Greenway at mile six I was probably too delighted to see it as that revealed I'd no idea where we were for a bit.

The huge puddles on the road slowed us down as did the rain, on reflection, given the conditions the run was ok. Some of the puddles were massive - cheers mate to the bloke in the Jag that decided to drive though the puddle as we were half way across.

Suited Kenny well as he made it all the way to the end (well he ducked up Crabtree lane). I'm sure he actually initiated a conversation at one point and on several occasions gave more than an one grunt response to a question: his stamina is definately improving. No dumps today from Kenny, but some noisy jet propulsion at one point. At least there is not much risk of being behind Kenny - surely not a place I'd ever want to be.

On the last click Dave and I tried to pick up the pace for home. 400m out we raced to the bridge and much to my amazement, Dave stormed out ahead but could not hold the lead. By 100m to go I was closing fast and took him just before the bridge, he came with me but too late! Ha! Those reps are really paying dividends.

Heart rate was fine, shade low in the 140s and still over-recovering downhill.

Now where was Paul? Is he a wetaphobe?

No comments: