Thursday 15 January 2009

Thursday Intervals

Thursday intervals. Two on the bounce this week. Bit of psychology going on with Steve at the start suggesting that I'd run well on Tuesday, but could I cope with Thursday too?

Having passed up the opportunity for an earlier whip around Westminster I set off, to bump into Mr Westlake on the way in from aforementioned loop. Steaming and sweating rivers he didn't look like it had been an easy run. Er, nope he'd done it in 28 minutes. Animal!

I got to the meeting place and there were plenty of semi elite and back markers to keep me company. Session today was 1km of 30 on/off strides followed by 8 sets of 2 minutes on and one to recover, with two minutes recover after the fourth set.

Held my own through reps one and two, but as we were turning at three and the gap was binging to appear between me and everyone else rather than keep jogging out for the rep three recovery I turned and jogged back. No-one caught me on rep four, but I could hear them at rep five coming for me and by six they were streaming through. Interesting complication was that by doing 3 out 5 back we were back too soon, so six, seven and eight all had "jog back" elements which resulted in me being over taken by the same people three times! Starting late reps amongst the elite was unusual and pretty impressive to see just how fast some of these guys can move.

Justin caught me on rep 8, by which point we'd gone past the normal finish - there were only 45s left on the rep and I managed to find something extra to drive though to the finish and overtake him back and recover some honour. I admitted to my switchback at rep 3.....

Felt like I'd really worked hard today and was going pretty fast for me. Encouraging. Oh yeah, Steve, I was ok today. Ha.

No comments: