Friday 30 January 2009

Hounds and Hare: Traffic winners and losers

After a bad start to the week with food poisoning on Monday from a dodgy chicken pitta bread overlayed with a cold I was not so sure about taking up Charlie's offer of swapping my race director role for that of competitor. Plus, having done rocket lockets the day before (6x 800) up at the canal the excuses were many.

I did it anyway and didn't need the excuses. What a race! Must have been about twenty of us and my new (upwardly adjusted) handicap of 33 was spot on. I did it in 33:02.

At the off I had one guy on the same time and another six seconds ahead. The front dude stormed off and inside mile one he took a green man that changed as he was crossing and I still had some 20m to get to the traffic. Two lanes so massive injection of pace swerving wide into the road and just made it over - the traffic was moving as I cross in front of them - that move is not in the green cross code - but I was sure I had the pace to clear both lanes. Even better the dude who started with me was now stuck on the other side of the road. Took him two more miles to catch me!

Came through Green Park feeling strong and pegging back Clive the whole time. Reeling him in the whole time, closer, closer. Overtook a few more and getting very close along the Mall and over took him crossing the road after going through the tourists on Horseguards. BUT at Northumberland Avenue I could not see a gap in the traffic, so when down to embankment and got well and truly scanked. Could not cross hand had to wait a whole lights cycle to get over - somehow Clive found a kink in the traffic and had crossed higher up and all I could do was watch him put distance between us. Tried and failed to catch him, let Stuart (29:10) past and watched in amusement as Clive (34:00) tried in vain to hold him off.

The guys were mocking me as I finished for waving two lady joggers off my racing line as I came in for the sprint finish.

Felt so much better to be racing with people around me the whole time. Really enjoyed it and with some better race prep (ie no reps the day before and not being sick) I am looking forward to doing it again in March (can't do Feb as too close to Berkhampstead half).

Next time Clive, next time!

No comments: