Tuesday 12 May 2009

Intervals with Locket Rockets

Today we welcomed Paul Savage into the Locket's Rockets lunchtime sessions. Having been suitably impressed by the SEAC experience at the Dome he came along to today's reps.

There were at least 15 of us and the session was 800m in 2mins 30sec (or 2mins 30sec for those of us who can't go that fast) with 90 static or catch up recovery. We did six of these four minute cycles backward and forwards.

At rep one there was a bit of jostling for the back marker place as no Martin today so Steve with his injured leg was kinnda there and Paul was wisely looking to pace himself. The odd reps were wind against and the even wind assisted, and after rep one I asked Steve where he was as I was looking for a wind break! Cheeky monkey was his quip. Rep three I set off and was right at the back and attempted to "tuck in" behind Steve who promptly took three steps to the right and virtually stopped - that caused me to burst out laughing which I think in turn Paul thought was pretty odd. Glad someone thinks this is funny.

By rep four the 90 second recovery felt like a minute too short and I was struggling to hold Karen's pace but through five and six I think she may have eased off as a few of us were mixing it up in the "middle" group a bit ahead.

Rep six about halfway through I notice I'd someone on my shoulder. He kicked about three times and I managed to match each kick and into the last 10 seconds I found a kick of my own which he matched and we were side by side when we both looked at our watches with 3 seconds left and so had a laugh about that and shook hands. This is exactly why you need to do these sessions in a group. His 405 reckons we were doing 5:30 min miles through the last rep.

Final interesting thing was the gobby jogger who wanted to know who we were and for some reason how fast we could run 4 miles in. He was claiming some totally unreaslistic time (based on the size of his beer belly and his kit) - "Not now obviously" was one comment I over heard. Yeah right whatever. See you on Thursday mate.

Held my own with the middle group u

No comments: