Thursday 14 May 2009

Lockett's Rockets

More first timers today. Charlie came along with Martin and I dragged Mark Westlake and the McCleery twins (that's another story) aka Andrew McCleery up to the canal to make it a JP Morgan fest.

17 Rockets headed out with some strides to warm up as some of the newbies were wandering out loud if those were the first reps. Nope. We started at the sign on the wall and knocked out 12x 200m off 2mins total (ie including the recovery). The recovery was supposed to be static, but we jogged back the first one.

We split into two groups as there were too many to go together and the elite went some 10 seconds before the middle/back group.

Mark was drenched in sweat after the first rep. but looked like he could have been at the back of the elite. Andy was up there powering through in the front/middle of the 2nd group. I was tucked in somewhere near Karen's pace for the first six or so. By then the first people were ducking out and at the end I counted 14 of us as survivours.

After the sixth rep. it was pretty clear this was not going to hurt my back so I started to push through from halfway and held the last 100m at around 90% - this change in gear was noticed and got a comment from Martin (who was also at pains to point out he was not the back marker) just incase he got blogged.

Most enjoyable moment was rep 10 when I reckoned I could catch Mark and did, but he was claiming injury to his leg and then did not complete the session. It is not often I get to go past Mark, so it was a particulary sweet moment.

By the last two reps I was letting Andy get a little ahead until the halfway point which gave me a chance accelerate through the last 100m and try and catch him, which I managed both times at around 90% - I was certain I'd need the extra 10% on the last rep, but he just let me go past with out a fight.

Job done.

No comments: