Sunday 17 May 2009

Wheathampstead 10km Race

The forecast was bad, but on Sunday morning the sun was shining. Dave enjoyed breakfast on his balcony and I could feel the heat on my back as I munched my pre-race breaky in the conservatory hoping the sun would hold out. Even the overnight downpour had failed to materialise.

However the journey over to Wheathampstead was to shatter any thoughts of a dry race. It absolutely lashed it down. We huddled in the car up to the last minute before the 2km kiddie race and dashed up to the start. Found my son who did it in 10:20 which was a new pb for him, but I somehow we missed my wife and daughter which lead to us all waiting for each other in different places and getting very cold, wet and miserable. Found Dave and Kenny just as the family decided they were off for a warm bath. Dave and I went out on the Greenway to get back onto Sheepcote lane to get at the front and Ken followed the signs to the back of the pack.

Found Paul taking a pre-race waz at the ford and thus the Running Fource was complete. (Although Dave who organised us into Running Fource was the only one not be recorded as in the team!)

Came back through the elite pen and shuffled up to just behind the sub forty brigade shaking Jon Jones of the St. Alans Striders hand as I knew he'd be around 38 (he was 38:01 8th place and 24s faster than last year).

The start, as it is every single year, was well late and we were all freezing in the rain before it finally kicked off. Then as we cruised through the first km the clouds parted and the sun shone. I did the first two (slightly up in 3:54 and 3:54) but when Dave went past me after 1.5km I knew then it was not going to happen for me today. I felt tired and not strong. Legs were heavy and just did not seem to have the motivation to work any harder than I was going. Dropped off the pace a couple of times and then managed to force it back. First woman overtook me at the 5th km and and I tried hard to stay with her but she was just too quick.

By the time I got down to the finish going into the playing field I had two people on my tail so I let them through and tucked in behind the last one. Felt like I was going slower than a snail by now and even when I kicked for the finish as the guy front of me rolled over I did not even need to work it up to the line.

Finished in 28th place (up from 35th last year) and official time was 41:16 although Garmin had it as 41:09 - seven to the start seems about right. Garmin also made the course short again, by about 130m.

Overall, disappointing. Felt I was running inside myself the whole way and was hacked off with the whole event. Slipped twice at 3rd and 4th km and that tensed up my back.

Highlight of the day was the post race massage.

Post race picture of Running Fource courtesy of Stacy, Ken's fitness instructor. (Based on that time she should be fired!) At least she got the legs in the photo.



Photo in race finish order left to right, Dave, Niall, Paul & Ken.



And here are my splits:



And the graphic from the Garmin, notice the lack of any significant red line activity - I normally race at 165 so this way down.

No comments: