Sunday 27 September 2009

3 reps on the Redbournbury Mill Loop

The plan was to run the Rebournbury Mill loop, but with a couple of 8 min blasts.

Dave was up all night with noisy neighbours so had binned his race and appeared wearing a number and timing chip. Paul was at least 2 seconds late so we jogged past his house and he was fiddling with his Garmin was we went past him and he eventually caught us on the way to the Nicky Line steps where we arrived 4 minutes early so looped around Ambrose lane to give Kenny time to turn up.

Paul made some zebra comment about my new stock exchange top, but as he was doing a good impersonation of doctor death with his black surgeon's hat one I was not worried about the fashion stakes.

Off we went. At the platforms everyone seemed to have trouble pressing their buttons to turn the "on" phase on but off we went with Kenny hammering out the keep up with Simon pace. I tucked in and quickly settled to the pace. Paul and Dave came through we all changed places and I finally got by Kenny.

The four minutes off did not work for Paul and Kenny who rebelled and took a short cut avoiding rep two completely. (Well ok I said we'd do the second from the bottom of Beesonend Lane, but we always exceed expectations, right guys?)

As Simon went past and asked me the route I helpfully explained it was the "usual one" which given he's never run that route with us before was not particularly helpful. He shrugged his shoulders and zoomed off into the distance. Found him again at the Redbournbury Mill.

As I crossed the road into the field 5 mins into rep 2 Dave asked what the session was. He seemed a bit phased by the 8 mins on, but when I explained we'd already done 5 of them and there were only 3 left he cheered up and started to push through. I responded and we crashed through the woods scattering herons, rabbits and the peaceful sunrise as I imagined my life depended on Dave not catching me. Great stuff.

Jogged to the Mill where we found Simon waiting and Paul and Kenny caught up having skipped rep two. Dave headed off towards St. Albans looking for more miles. As I write this his car is still on my drive....

Rep three for me (remember Kenny and Paul have only done one at this point) is from the bottom of the Beesonend hill. Tough stuff, Kenny sets off like the flying Scotsman, steam from his nostrils and his back as he huffs and puffs his way up the hill. Paul tried to bait him with comments like are you still talking Kenny, but I tuck in and focus. Try to go past three times and three times he fights back like a man, but the fourth I give it an extra blast go super wide and he doesn't respond. I know the flat section is next and give myself 30 seconds to recover and kick again on the flat. The Simon goes through and Kenny astounds me by going with him. I've already decided to let them go and that's it for me I leave them too it. Then Paul catches me and I'm last, but with out the Garmin set for the 3rd lap I've no idea how much is left of the 8 mins and dont want to risk anything silly.

3:53 on rep one clearing 2:06km was perfect. Rep two was 4:19 or 1.85km but with two roads and a forest and three gates. The hill felt much faster but came out around 4.13 which is ok too. Another 6 weeks and I'd be fine for the 10km, unfortunately it is only one more weekend away so we'll just have to see what happens on the day.

Once again a stunning performance from Kenny. I'm worried now he'll beat me at the Herts 10km.

No comments: