Friday 25 September 2009

Never a chance for this Hound!

I was harangued by Aisha before going out to the SEAC supper last night (it was a good craic and a chap on my table turned out to be Hue Lobb who did flitwick 10km in 29mins) and it was noted how Martin had cunningly managed to get himself this month's race directorship. The build up to the event was all low key as it was fast becoming the Hangover and Hounds.

In the Thursday email I was down as 2nd hound with Chris 8 seconds behind me. He sportingly ran with me until hourseguards in August so I was hoping to hang on to him that far and then pick of Clive and the middle of the field by Green park.

With the Herts 10km looming just 2 and a half weeks away and Kenny three days into his taper already I was pleased to hear from the SEAC elite that there is still time to blast out some serious reps before the 10km race. But before that I needed to get this Hound and Hare race done. A good indication for the race predicted performance.

Due to SEAC supper I had been up late the night before, but only had one beer and some wine. I refused to drink any more with Steve literally twisting my arm to drink beer with him. I enjoyed my coke much to his consternation. He was so annoyed he was threatening to come and watch!

I had a taken a cunning trip to tesco and so have plenty for cereal and fruit to graze on in the morning before the race. I also took on plenty of water and made sure I left on an empty tummy.

There was a hint of hangover in the air as I jogged down to the start with Westlake who had come to do 3 bridges then watch the finish.

Got to the start and no Martin, so Charlie is starting the runners then he hands me the papers and stop watch and says "I'm off in 5 seconds, give this to martin if he turns up." And if he doesn't? Give it to the security guy at JPM. So we did. Chris and I decided to dump the stuff and leave on schedule for me, but slightly ahead for him. Chris was chatting away about how bouncy and light his legs felt as we eased into mile one together. I already knew it was too slow and Chris was being very kind in staying with me for the first mile. On the other side of Horse guards he said "Alright then" and changed into a gear I seemed to be missing. Tried to keep the form to the hill and noted the 100s of runners going to Hyde park for their 5km series. Hardly noticed the Green Park hill and nearly looked at the watch at half way but decided that might be too depressing. Suddenly I remembered this was a race and in the bright low sun the Oakleys did the job and in the distance I clocked some runners. This focused me greatly and by the time I was over the Mall I was counting down the seconds to the end of the group. Got through Horse Guards on the return with Aisha some 30 heartbeats in front. By Embankement 25 and closing. I made a big effort to be light on feet and run the racing line at every opportunity steeling yards where I could. I made it to nearly level with Aisha and thought carefully about how to overtake. The lights ahead went red and she was committed to the pedestrian crossing hemmed in by the railings, so I went wide of the railings onto Embankment hoping for a gap in the traffic turning right across our path. A taxi hesitated and the three feet of gap that presented was enough - over I went and was elated to hear Aisha scream "Oi, Niall you sneaky...." every pace put me another few feet ahead and I knew I'd done enough not to come last. By now I was up at race speed and kicked again for the finish although I did not really need to.

I felt I could have held that pace for ages.

Was brought back to Earth with a bump as I crumpled up to recover Westlake comes out with "Terrible performance Niall". And he was painfully correct. Clive had whipped me by a good 20 seconds having done almost no training since last time.

Time:34:49 (16 seconds faster than last time's personal worst)

Ave pace: 7:01 min miles, but I am sure there was a massive negative split.

Linear projection to 10km: 43:20 - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Right now to put the last minute 10km plan into action. More speed, but less volume. If it works for Hue Lobb, who am I to disagree.

No comments: