Tuesday 29 September 2009

Confidence Boosting Reps

Was on earlies today and had been at circuits last night. I was taking it easy so I could do reps well today and in spite of double sprints at the end I managed that and it worked. Two other funny things happened at circuits. Roman kicked some guy's trainer across the hall who turned up late. Then Kevin was pointing at his rear end and giggling at me before dropping out completely. He had split his shorts wide open so I had to cover him up by tying my track suit top around his girth to save his blushes. Awe.

Today I just made it over the zebra crossing to see the massed ranks of the guys heading out from the meeting point. It was a scorching day and I caught the back markers just as Paul was mumbling something to Martin about Niall not turning up. Ha!

The session was 6 times 4 mins on with 90 seconds recovery. I ran with Paul tucked in behind me and I was trying very hard not to lead the wee group of 4 that formed. I only managed that decisively on the last rep as I blew it on rep 5 trying to hold the elite when they came through. Had a good tussle with Richard though as we traded places several times in the last rep.

General complaint from the group was that I was kicking at 2mins and dragging the pace up through the second half of the reps.

After the turn a couple of big people on bikes pulled over to let us through. Paul claimed I got a second look from the lady, but I was just focused on the run. The fact that he noticed this, let alone decided to talk about it, during the on part of the rep kinnda shows he could have gone faster and taken a turn at the front sooner. The thought "don't fancy yours much" popped into my head, but I was more worried about light feet then banter.

I hope steve is ok, I did not see him but rumour has it he was hanging over a fence coughing his guts up on the way back.

On the jog home the guys I was doing the reps with were chatting about their recent 10km race times - 37:20 and 38 dead. On the basis I can hold 6x4s with them they felt 42 would be a serious underperformance.

Their advice was to go for it. Sundenly, I might actually be looking forward to this race again. Massive confidence boost. I will read this again for inspiration before the race.

No comments: