Thursday 10 September 2009

Westminster on my own

Had an annoying meeting slap bang in the middle of the regular lunchtime run slot and so did not make it to rockets and missed Westlake who escaped the office ahead of me.

On physio's orders I had to run today to check how the muscles and tendons were recovering so I could get back to him on friday if it blew up. Tibialis Posterier problems are fading just as hamstring issues are appearing in the other leg.

On Monday Laurence said he thought I'd put on some weight and bulked out a bit especially in the legs. I think this is more than just a compliment to ensure I buy another 10 classes, I actually feel much stronger. The legs can do the work, it is just trying to convince my heart and lungs to come along for the journey that is the normal issue.

Take today. Excuses are 3 earlies in 4 days and going at 1 having eaten at 7 was not ideal.

I set out to do the Westminster loop and wanted to go faster than a long run but slower than red-line. I set off and reckoned I was going ok and quickly locked on to a guy in a blue top and an ipod ahead on my route. I over took him a shade too soon and he made some attempt at holding me back, but I rounded some tourists more fluently than him and zoomed off. Over Westminster I hardly noticed the incline and battled home against a stiff wind. Lost focus a little on Blackfriars Bridge and as I turned to go down the stairs I noticed a guy in a white top closing in. I got around the family with the pram on the stairs and he didn't which gave me a nice start on the way back to Millenium. I held a decent pace back to the steps and then eased off on the last stretch to the office. Spotted blue top jogging home.

Cleared the 4.2 miles in 31:51 which just about makes it count as a threshold run. However the other points about the injury not blowing up and recovery from Tuesday would have made it worthwile anyway.

4:40/7:30 for min km/miles roughly which really needs to get faster very quickly or else the 10km will be rather embarassing.

No comments: