Tuesday 15 September 2009

Wet Rockets

It was oh so wet. I was the first at the meeting point and enjoyed watching the guys come in. There are some very young and very blond and very very fast new Rockets making the front guys work hard to avoid the elite group being surpassed by the new uber elite.

Meanwhile I was delighted to see Steve Scrutton appear and at least one mid range Rocket decided he was taking it easy as he had a race tomorrow and locked on to me as his dead weight.

Soaked to the skin and cold by the time we got to the start there was no messing about and the 4 times 7 mins session was called. This is a particularly nasty one. You get 4mins running hard, 30 seconds recovery then 1 minute running very hard and 90 seconds recovery in each 7 min cycle.

I had no interest in racing anyone today. Suddenly it had been a tough few days with Sat reps, Sunday long, Monday circuits and back to reps today. As the water came down by the bucket load I was focusing on avoiding the deepest bits of the puddles and not letting Steve drift to far in front of me. He kept looking back and I figured he was checking he was just doing enough to keep me from catching up.

Some of the mid range rockets came back to collect us on the recovery which was a nice touch and much appreciated.

Uber elite came through at the end of the third rep and the elite followed by the rest during the last one.

And my wee moment of glory was on the fourth rep on the last one minute on I pegged Scrutton back waited for my moment and went past as we overtook a jogger and powered up the incline to the last lock. I let him jog through to catch me and got some abuse about going longer than the minute to ensure I got past him and how come it was only the last rep you could do that on etc etc. Ha Ha I love it. The last one is the one everyone sees!

Got plenty of dirty looks going into the office as I had to wring out my top it was so wet before I went in dripping through reception.

No comments: