Saturday 13 March 2010

17km Aubonne

With me home alone with the kids any kind of early morning run was out of the question this weekend. However, I felt the need and decided to take the kids to Scouts. Rocked up and found the place no problem and while it took a while to settle Lia, by the time I had left I still had well over two hours to fill with a run.
My mother in law kindly gave me an old map of the area which has the contours, roads and trees on it. Bit like an OS map in the UK, but with one very important difference, it has the Tourisme Pédestre routes on it.
So once done with the scouts I was spoilt for choice and had a vague notion to try and get the up over with first so plumped for Arboretum.




No disappointment in the up department. Switzerland does up really well. While I was not going to try and relive the Signal de Bougy run the contours on the map were still pretty tight. I tried to go at “Kenny pace” and just enjoy the run.
Did not take too long to get to the Arboretum and it did exactly what it said on the tin - lots of trees from all over the place. I kept going and made the climb up to someone’s chalet thinking it was the route, but cut across a field back to the path. Tried to stay on the sunny side of the valley. In the shade it was still cold and snow on the ground. Some ice around the streams and rivers too. I crossed a lovely traditional wooden bridge with a chalet style roof on it.
Way down was good, soft underfoot with leaves and good to go downhill. But not for long, I decided to head for Yens and that meant another climb. Very pleasant rolling hills, grassy fields, wooded glades, vistas back to the château d’aubonne and the lake and the French alps.
On the way out I overtake an old lady with two ski poles and a back pack heading up the hill. She must have been about 90 and was seriously over-laden – she was only just moving forwards. I wondered if she was on the same training program as Kenny and was refusing to get out of zone 1.
Bit of a slog over to Yens, but I get there ok and loop the church before heading back for Aubonne. In the last bit I came off the yellow signs somehow and ignored two private signs and one danger path closed for wood cutting sign. I’m sure the château is just over the hill but the road is blocked by a tree eating machine and a farmer (complete with moustache and dungarees) is going for it with a chain saw and his son is helping out too. No way through other than to blatantly blag it. So for the second time today my French was put to the test, “Hi guys, I’m really lost! Could you help me get to Aubonne?” Are you looking for a bus”, “No, I’d like to run there”. “Ah I see. Right go to the end of my drive, turn right over the bridge, it’s a busy road not very nice for running, but after 200 metres take the first trail on the right and go though the woods, that will take you right to the centre.” “Thanks have a nice weekend” as I jump the piles of wood. Now he got the last laugh. That tail was 45 degrees and so steep I had to walk when it became steps. But it did take me to down town Aubonne and right at the castle gate and so a new tradition is born. All runs ending in Aubonne will finish by running though the castle gate
and climbing to the top.
Stunning views and the sheltered steps on the other side are perfect for stretching off. Amazingly the local school is now in the castle!

17km cleared in 1:49. Not fast, but very hard work. The only way to do these mountain runs is slowly.
Heart rate closely followed the hill profile and pace is meaningless.

No comments: