Monday 1 March 2010

Exploring Parc des Eaux-Vives, 11km in 59mins

Lovely day as I set of the gym to get changed for my run. The guys all remembered Friday and reached for their umbrellas!

No worries. Lovely day and I headed out with the idea of exploring the Parc des Eaux-Vives I had spotted on Friday. Stunning park which you can read all about by clicking on me.

Some nice sections for hill reps we spotted and next time I know I can hug the "off road" trails right on the edge of the park through the trees. On the second loop I found myself in front of the old chateaux which is now a restaurant réputé. We'll they didn't expect me panting through their patio, luckily too early for any lunches out side, but mental note to self to go around the back next time.

Went out past the jet d'eaux and past the yacht club. This time the wind was against on the way out so I let myself go further before turning back and really enjoyed being blown home. The visibility was amazing, jet d'eaux was stunning with the old city skyline to run back to. Picked of a few tubby zone 1 boys and nodded to plenty of more serious looking runners.

The whole lake side thing is crying out for some reps.

Saw one of my colleagues out for a walk and it was a nice feeling to stumble across someone I knew.

With about 1 km to go I drifted in to check my reflection on a bus stop and to my horror noticed a lycra clad racer closing in on me fast. So I went for it. Upped the pace to something close to 10km race pace and held it not looking back and darting through the people in Jardin Anglais like I was racing the hound and hare. Delighted to totally drop the guy.

I'd been super slow on the way out (9 min miles) and from the turn I'd been getting faster and actually managed the last one at 6:55 min miles. Felt much faster than that. I am in dire need of some reps! Ave pace was only 8:36 min miles.

There was a band playing soft relaxing music at my end spot and as the sun was out I enjoyed the moment and stretched on the quai. Perfect end to an interesting run.

No comments: