Tuesday 9 March 2010

3.3 miles, three parks and the Ice Lake

La Bise blew hard and cold today. My left ear nearly froze on the way over the bridge to work in the morning and from the whipping flags I knew the sun was trying to lull me into a false sense of security.

I had hoped to make either stretching or yoga at the gym, but the usual round of meetings put a stop to that. I thought of the treadmill (I was thinking 5km hard) or out in the ice wind, hmmm. Ice Wind here I come.

Out of the lifts without a hitch today and decided to rediscover part of Geneva I used to know well when selling software to hedge funds. I'm been to a fair few conferences in the President Wilson hotel, with its stunning terrace and pool area (check out bay view on the link). I also ran past the good burgers munching their expensive lunch in "La Perle du Lac" which is my all time favourite restaurant.

On the way out I tried not to push too hard, but the Ice Wind did its worst and just moving against it had my hrt of the scale. In the parks, it was more sheltered and less like hard work. Hrt dropped back to zone 3 at 8:30 min miles.

But today was all about the unworldly effect of the wind whipping the water of the lake onto the promenade and promptly freezing on anything it landed on. Entire ports were cornered off as they were covered in ice, the railings, the paths, the walls, the boats, even the icicles were not vertical but going with the wind.

In the park I saw what must be one of the rarest things ever. A complete set of fully grown trees completely iced over! Absolutely amazing, that's how cold it was.

Turned at the last horse statue and was blown effortlessly back to Geneva. Total 3.35 in 27:30 ave. 8:15, but big negative split due to the wind.

No comments: