Wednesday 19 May 2010

5m Reps, 8min cycle

After climbing the walls a bit yesterday, no running it's a rest day, I was raring to go today having also had a good deep sleep.

It was sunny, but windy and going for billy no mates reps suddenly became hard work. What session to do? Could I be bothered? Oh yes. I found another half to do in September and the guy who came 13th last year in my age group assures me it is flat. Only thing is they intend to run it in the dark! Click here for the video.

So after sorting out the motivation I needed to pick a session and there were three pre-loaded in the Garmin. Anything involving one km or four mins was out as too depressing to consider, but the 8 minute cycle seemed to fit the bill for a sunny windy day. 4x (5on 30off 1on 90off).

I decided to focus on making the one min reps really count. The out bound was wind against today, but the return was a joy. I actually enjoyed the 5on during rep 3. Felt fast, controlled and effortless as the wind pushed me back to Geneva. Indeed, that one I managed all 5mins at sub 4min per km pace (the others were all just over).

But the real story was the one minute reps. I've struggled to do them well in the past and today was much better. By doing the 5on at a sustainable pace, I could actually go faster on the 1ons today. 3:42, 3:51, 3:38 and the last one a belter at 3:24. I'm sure the naked lady statue smiled at me as I punched the air when I went past on the return, by getting back beyond where I started I'd scored a hit.

Plenty of runners of all standards out today, so made the reps fun as I could pick of targets during the on sessions.

So well chuffed with the day's efforts and treated my self to a lovely big slab of strawberry cake.

No comments: