Tuesday 3 August 2010

13.2 miles / 4.8 miles

With Tanya (Davina's sister) now in town and talking about running a mad plan was hatched. Stewart came out with me to Westbourn and we went off in search of the mouse. Never found it, but we did find the tree. Coastal path to Fintry was fun. At the Hush Hush we tried to find the metal ring in the rock and did not, but we did find a seal. It is possible to look at seals and run, but Stewart and Tanya were determined to slow to walking pace at every possibility.

So at the water sports center I took a "long cut" and retraced the footpath this time not going straight over the hill but following the path to the farmhouse, the path goes through the buildings, but the dog made sure I took the field route to miss the house itself.

By now I was sure they would be miles ahead of me and I kicked hard to try and catch them thinking I'd be able to do so just before the town. Two fields out and there they are chatting away walking up the hill. I did a few circles of shame and then we ran down together. Stewart called it a day, but I still had to get Tanya home 1.5 miles away, which I did via some photogenic spots for her to take pictures of the cathederal of the isles were Ru would be getting married.

By the time I had got back to the house, I'd cleared 13.2 miles in the shocking time of 2:13 - an all time personal worst!

Next day Dean (my new brother in law) arrived and he and I agreed to meet at 7:20 at westbourn. Now, given we made this deal at 1:38am in the Tavern I am amazed it happened. I was even more amazed to see Tanya there too.

She took the first footpath up to the golf course and dean and I took the second, but not before going under the tunnel at Fintry!

I pushed the pace up the hill through the wet grass ferns and brambles. Tough going and before I knew it I was at the top with the hrt high and happy as larry. Oh shoot, Dean! I doubled back and collected him, one field gap so not too rude. Trotted back to town and took him to see the cannon in the west bay wall. 4.8 cleared.

No comments: